maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Friday 20 January 2017

Thank You Obama Family

Yes, I know...I'm a corny, sentimental person. Here is my humble offering, on inauguration day. It's the contents of a letter I sent to the Obama family last month.


 Dec 10, 2016

Dear Barack, Michelle, Malia and Sasha

As your time in the White House comes to an end I would like to thank you for your service over the past eight years. You may think that unusual, coming from a Canadian. Perhaps it can be explained by something that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s father, Pierre, said many years ago: “ Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant…. one is affected by every twitch and grunt.”

I’m a 63-year-old grandmother who has been interested in politics since high school - mostly Canadian, but also yours. I’ll never forget my grade 10 year. It was 1968, with the gigantic losses of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy. When I first child was born, my doctor told me he was going home to dig a bomb shelter in his backyard. That was November 4, 1980  - the day of Reagan’s election. We care what happens in your country.

Malia and Sasha, thank you for sharing your parents with all of us. Eight years is a long time to live in such a public environment. I hope that you have enjoyed lots of special perks while there. Michelle, thank you so much for all your hard work and tremendous example as a dedicated parent, champion of many worthwhile causes and public speaker . Your quote “When they go low, we go high” will live forever. I was fortunate to watch much of the Democratic National Convention last summer. Your speech and many of those speeches restored my faith in the goodness of the American people. You and your family are a class act.

President Obama, if only your time as president and Justin Trudeau’s time as Prime Minister had overlapped a bit longer. I think both of our countries might have benefitted from your relationship. I will never forget your inauguration and the joy and hope of that time. No, it didn’t all work out, but thank you for all that you have done and all that you tried to do. You have worked diligently and shown leadership in many areas like healthcare and environmental protection.

I’ve always enjoyed your speeches, both long and short. Your thoughtful, insightful calm manner is reassuring and inspiring. Your sense of humor has also been appreciated. In times of disaster and tragedy you’ve demonstrated great empathy to those who are suffering. You will be missed.

Many Canadians are great admirers of yours. Thanks for visiting Canada and speaking on Parliament Hill. You and your family are always welcome here. I wish you all a wonderful future as you embark on this next chapter of your family’s journey.

 With gratitude and admiration,


Mary Ellen Kot

No comments:

Post a Comment