maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Wednesday 18 January 2017

#beccatoldmeto

(Updated on February 1st)

It has taken me a long time to get on the twitter bandwagon. Finally, I have taken the plunge and it's all because of a teenager in Riverview N.B. named Becca Schofield. This remarkable person, who has terminal brain cancer, has put a surprising item on her bucket list. She is asking people to perform acts of kindness in her honour and then post it to social media using #beccatoldmeto. I was so moved when I saw her story on January 14th. Watch it here on CTV .

The next morning at our church, in the children's homily, they were asked, "How will people know that you have Jesus in your heart? " Again the challenge, the lesson, to treat people with kindness and generosity.

It was a lovely coincidence. On the way home from church, in the car, we listened to an item called The Kindest Cut on CBC's The Sunday Edition. It's about a group called the Street Thug Barbers who give free haircuts to street people in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. Again, it was inspiring to hear their story. I found this trio of kindness messages, in less than a day, to be a soothing way to start this historic (inauguration) week.

I like to think that I try to treat my family and friends with kindness, but how well do I treat the strangers who I encounter? If it makes a difference to Becca Schofield, if her knowing that some of us are thinking of her and being inspired by her, if that gives her joy, then let's do it. This world needs all the kindness it can get.




No comments:

Post a Comment