maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Monday 6 November 2017

Special Needs Education - Ottawa Citizen Article

As promised, I have written a piece to expand on what I said during the CBC  radio phone-in, regarding the state of special education.  Click here to read  my piece in today's Ottawa Citizen.

In it, I stress the need for early identification of learning problems. Many will disagree, but I also write about my preference for special classes for learning disabled students. In this age of three year olds heading off to full day kindergarten, I also applaud the Toronto Board of Education. They're offering some fall babies the opportunity to enjoy an extra year of school.

There have always been controversies and disagreements about how to best serve our students. As a retired special education teacher, parent and grandmother, I'm happy to remain a part of those discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment