maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Thursday 19 October 2017

Special Ed discussion on The Current

We're well into the new school year now. My former colleagues in special education have been working diligently to write IEP's (Individual Education Plans) for students identified with learning  problems.  This fall, CBC radio's The Current has been airing segments about special eduction. On October 2nd the entire show was devoted to the subject. Click here to hear a recap of that show. You would think it wouldn't matter to me anymore; I'm well into retirement. However, just hearing parents' concerns about how their children's needs are not being met, got me all fired up about special ed. again. It's a subject that I've been involved with as both parent and teacher. Frankly I'm saddened by the fact that we are still failing so many students and their families. I was pleased to be a part of the phone-in portion of the show (at the twenty-two minute mark) but there was so much more I wish I could have said. In the next little while I'll re-visit this and elaborate on my comments about early identification and specialized classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment