maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Thursday 3 February 2022

What now?

 I wrote my last post on Sunday evening. By Monday morning I was furious. That was after I listened to several radio interviews, with folks affected by this occupation.  Tomorrow is Friday - a whole week of this unprecedented, outrageous situation. Tonight's At Issue panel (CBC ) was particularly vehement in their condemnation of the Conservative Party's reaction to the situation. Of course I have no idea how this should be resolved. All I know is that the personal stories that I have heard on the radio this week have been absolutely heartbreaking. Councillor Diane Deans, the head of Ottawa's Police Services Board apologized to the people who live and work in the downtown core  for the "living hell" they are enduring.  Alex Munter, the CEO of CHEO, was tweeting information in the mornings - traffic tips -  to advise hospital workers that if they showed their hospital ID at the closed Chaudiere Bridge, they would be allowed to use that bridge to cross from Quebec to Ottawa, to get into their shifts at the hospitals. That's so they could avoid the hours long delays on the other bridges. 

Today, as I drove around my own neighbourhood I was struck by the politeness of my fellow drivers. We still have a lot of very large snowbanks after our last storm, making it difficult for two cars to pass each other. So we patiently wait and duck into a laneway and let the other guy go first. It happens all the time. Same thing on the sidewalks. Often, when you are walking along, people will cross to the other side of the street or pull over into a lane way to let the other pedestrian walk by- because  of Covid concerns, That's the kind of city we are . Ottawans are, for the most part, polite, kind and patient. That's why we are so appalled at the extreme rudeness and selfishness of the thugs who have invaded our city. 

This is madness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment