maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Thursday 16 July 2020

Corona Music

Like every other aspect of our lives, this pandemic is affecting us all musically. We've still got our tickets for the James Taylor concert we were supposed to attend in April.  While I certainly miss going to concerts, I'm very grateful for all the events we  attended in the past. How fortunate we were to see Simon and Garfunkel, the Mc Garrigle Sisters, the famous Pauls - Simon and McCartney. Our favourite Bluesfest concert featured James Taylor. It was an absolutely perfect summer evening with all us old fogies, happily seated in our lawn chairs.   At Ottawa's NAC last fall we enjoyed a memorable evening with my mother, soaking up the music and wit of Ireland's Chieftains. Depending on how long this situation lasts, we may never see some of these older performers again. Oh, for the good old days of gathering in large crowds  - thousands of us singing along together - all our airborne germs mingling happily!

At the beginning of these strange times we tuned in to virtual concerts and singalongs. Lately I've been re-discovering some music from my past. When I'm at my mother's home I sometimes open up her old stereo. In the early sixties, when Dad bought it, a family friend told him he was crazy. He was convinced that us six kids would wreck it. However, here we are, all these years later, with the stereo still in fine working condition.



While going through the old albums I've found some gems. Most of them are Mom and Dad's but a few of them are from our teenage years. Here's one of my favourites. It's a K Tel record, with hits from the 60's. Who doesn't want to listen to Summer in the City or  Silence is Golden ?




I love the big band records as much as mom. And then there are all the Irish ones. However, the records that we keep playing are Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass. Most of their music is fast, energetic, and joyful. Playing it brings back pleasant memories from days long gone - a simpler, optimistic era.


And then there is the piano - the same one I practiced on as a child. After years of ignoring our piano at home, I have started playing at mom's. It's good for my fingers and good for my tiny brain to try to remember chords and key signatures again. Most of all it makes me feel good. I play songs from Mom's era and also  enjoy playing many of the old hymns. It's been a real pleasure to remind myself of these classic melodies. Music...my silver lining.

4 comments:

  1. Mary Ellen! I'm so glad to see that you're still writing and posting about issues in your community and life during the pandemic. It was nice to see you at the PWC party last year. Corona music: I have been listening to my many CDs, CBC classical radio and when I'm feeling it, Saturday Night Blues. Stay safe.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Theresa
      Please excuse my very tardy reply. Thank you very much for your lovely message. I hope you are doing well, in these unusual and challenging times.
      Mary Ellen

      Delete
  2. Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking. shadoe music

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... Sahubs

    ReplyDelete