maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Wednesday 18 September 2019

Summertime

As you can tell by my prolonged absence, I have enjoyed our season of repose. It's so true, that getting out in the natural world, away from our ever-present screens, does a person a world of good.  I always feel better after a swim in a lake, a drive in the country, a bike ride, or some time at a cottage.

We are truly blessed to have the entertainment, the excitement and the love of our grandchildren. Time spent with them is a welcome diversion from the steady stream of negative news which threatens to overcome us. Being outside with them was my favourite part of summer.

What fun, to watch kids running on a summer day.

Water fights are just so much fun.

It had been years since I'd been to Toronto's Centre Island. One fine July day I visited there with our grandchildren. What a wonderful oasis! While walking around there, in the vast fields, beside the water, or around the gardens, one can easily forgot you're so close to Canada's largest city. It's wonderful to see so many people, of all backgrounds, enjoying a day away from their regular city life.

Enjoying the merry go round on Toronto Island

The grandkids (and I) were thrilled with the rides on Centre Island. It was so much fun to watch their excitement. While watching them on the boat ride, I had a flashback to my own childhood.


Back in the late fifties and early sixties, Dad would take us to the Ottawa Ex. As a child, I went on this same ride. How did my life slide by so quickly? While watching my grandchildren, I could suddenly remember my own excitement all those years ago. I really thought I was in a boat and that we were in deep water!

Camping at Sandbanks was another special time shared with family this summer. I don't have a photo of the kids' faces, as we jumped up and down in the waves, but I hope I'll always remember that magical time of pure joy.

This past year and a half, since Dad's death has been filled with so many firsts. This summer was my first time back at Sandbanks. As I walked  onto the beach after a swim, on a wild and windy day,  I looked over to the campsites which we've been lucky enough to occupy over the years. While camping at those beach-side sites, Dad would set up a hammock in the trees, overlooking the lake. As I contemplated that area, as I walked along the sandy roads, as I roasted marshmallows with the kids, I was filled, not with sadness but with a profound sense of gratitude. I have been so lucky, to have had all those times with my family in such a peaceful place. When I returned home, Mom and I shared our memories of early camping days and I thanked her for all our wonderful family trips.







No comments:

Post a Comment