maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Sunday 2 October 2016

My Two Minutes of Fame

Well, here's an easy one. Instead of writing, I'll let you have a listen to me rambling on a bit, on Friday's edition of Ontario Today on CBC radio. When I learned that they would be discussing modern architecture and its lack of curves, both in our institutions and our neighbourhoods, I couldn't help myself. I was their first caller of the day but I was certainly not alone in my views. Most callers are dismayed by the proposed addition to the Chateau Laurier Hotel here in Ottawa. On the program's site you can see some of the buildings that were discussed. Here are a few photos of homes in our neighbourhood that illustrate what I was talking about.

Kelly Egan of the Ottawa Citizen has described many of our infill houses as "mini office buildings"

This lovely home is one of the many that our neighbourhood has lost.

Here's what I meant  about new homes overpowering their neighbours.

What I didn't have a chance to say was that there are plenty of places where existing architectural patterns are respected and protected. London, England is one such place Another is St. Augustine, Florida. Here's a story I heard while on tour there.

Tourists visit St. Augustine to see the historic buildings




This is a recently built parking garage in the historic district. City rules for the area meant it had to be built in the style of the surrounding buildings. Smart city!

No comments:

Post a Comment