maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Tuesday 21 January 2014

peace and quiet

The following piece I wrote last week, while in Toronto. Now that we are back home and the dust has settled, I will attach the photo and post it.

I have just enjoyed the most peaceful, blessed hour! After a week spent packing and helping my mother-in-law to settle in at a retirement residence, we are visiting Norah and her family. Yesterday we sent little Avery to daycare for a large chunk of the day, so today we decided to keep him home with us. The morning was spent playing and taking him for a walk. By noon we were all ready for a break. We put him to bed and counted on a very long nap. However, less than an hour later there he was, sobbing unconsolably. Our plans had been thwarted by a gigantic poop!

After we cleaned him up he was still crying, so I sat with him and he quietly snuggled in. It reminded me of similar times with my own babies. Often those quiet snuggles, after a nap were the most peaceful time of the day.

Today Avery seemed so content, I wondered if I could take it a step further. If we laid down in bed, would he possibly go back to sleep? I carried him back upstairs and we got under the blankets in my bed. For a little guy who is constantly on the move, it was surprising and lovely to just lie quietly together and listen to the sound of his breathing. I loved the feeling of his little head nestled into my shoulder and the warmth of his body next to mine.  For the record, he didn't sleep. However, I kept drifting in and out of drowsiness. As he made his little noises I suddenly had a flashback; not to the 80's with my own babies, but way back to the 50's.

It was a hot sunny day and my own mother was trying to get me to have a nap. I know it was hot because I remember listening to the cicadas and the sounds of kids playing in the park across the street. I remember wanting to get up but feeling somewhat trapped by her body beside me, so much bigger than mine. Now I realize that she must have been exhausted. I was the eldest and my three sisters arrived within 5 years of my birth. On that particular summer day, perhaps the younger ones were down for a nap and she thought she could fool me into having one as well. Isn't that the perennial hope of parents and grandparents...a little bit of rest in a busy day?

Avery was content to lie still for about 45 minutes. As he awakened more fully he played with my fingers and started to make his funny noises. Our special time was ending.



I tend to make job lists and keep busy all day long. Along with the usual new years resolutions of exercise and better diet, I should really try to carve out some time for rest. Without Avery, my rest times would be very boring, but I could close my eyes and pretend. Here's to all the young parents out there, desperate for a short break.

No comments:

Post a Comment