maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Saturday 23 November 2013

Words of Wisdom from Q

Perhaps I should re-title my blog the CBC fan club? For today I'd like to post a letter which I sent to the radio program Q. I thought it was a particularly good radio day. Too bad I was not near a radio when Jian interviewed Joe Clark. I'll have to listen to that. In my ideal life I will have all kinds of time to sit around and listen to all the great radio I have missed. I suppose I should break down and get an ipod or some such device. Can my small brain learn to operate yet one more electronic gadget?

Anyhow, the letter:

Although I am a huge CBC fan, I must confess that there are some days I think that maybe I’m a bit old  to be listening to some of the items on the radio. After all, many of the musical guests I’ve never even heard of. Yesterday, (Wed. Nov. 20) when I knew I had a big baking/cooking morning ahead of me, I hoped that there were some guests I would really enjoy. I was not disappointed. As is often the case with CBC, even when I am not familiar with the guest, I really enjoy the interview.

Such was the case with Alison Moyet, a U.K. singer. Sorry to say but I had never heard of her. At first I was only half listening but then I became engaged as she spoke of her battles with the music industry and I realized that I was listening to a person of real integrity. As a feminist, who is constantly disappointed with the appearance of young female singers and their young fans, I often feel ancient…like I am not with the program. I felt better yesterday when Moyet too, expressed her concerns when she sees young female singers “more and more undressed.”  “I despair for them.” she said. Moyet hates the examples they set for her daughters.

But it was at the conclusion of the interview, when Moyet was discussing the meaning of her new work, The Minutes, that I really felt like I was listening to a very wise person. She spoke of happiness, our eternal quest. “These glorious times, they only happen in minutes that are suspended in pedestrian years.” She spoke of being in “a great place, middle age, when you are happier to follow your own moral compass.” Although she is a very successful artist, she acknowledged that, ”We are all struggling to find our way.” She is satisfied and feels that “it really is alright that our joy only happens in minutes and we should be grateful for them.” I found those statements to be profound.

Her interview was followed by Torquil Campbell’s rant. Again I was moved by what I heard. He started by declaring this to be a sad time in our country, leaving us all feeling cynical and exhausted. He urged us all to turn away from the cult of celebrity. He advised us to get to know our neighbours, to re acquaint with old friends, to look for our heroes in those around us rather than those in the media. Again, what words of wisdom!

His advice seems to echo The National’s nightly segment, Only in Canada. Kudos to whoever thought that item up. Not only is it interesting to learn of the accomplishments of these Canadians; it’s a chance to celebrate the gifts of people that we usually never hear about. It’s a positive way to end our days.

As usual, thanks CBC. You’re the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment