maryellenkot.ca
kotmaryellen@gmail.com

Wednesday 11 September 2013

train travel

I love travelling by train! Yesterday I travelled from Ottawa to Toronto and decided to treat myself and spend the extra $25.00 to take the train instead of a bus. What a difference! I love the seat and legroom, the opportunity to get up and walk around, the sound of the whistle and the scenery.
 Farmer's fields, small towns and backyards are a big improvement over the boring 401 with all its truck traffic.  Happily my trip yesterday was also totally on schedule.

I only wish that the federal government was putting more emphasis, planning and dollars into train travel. While yesterday's train  made good time, it is a turtle compared to the ones we travelled on in Germany and Holland last year. Canadian trains aren't even in the same game as their European counterparts. In Canada we continue to tear up track instead of laying more down. I wonder when and if ever, train travel in Canada will get the cash infusion it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment